1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
Went to Istanbul.
Had a casual love affair (no really, that was me being casual)
Applied for a promotion and (EVENTUALLY) got one
Lived on my own (and loved it)
Took care of myself
Got a personal trainer
Became a Book Publisher
Started a business
Went to Conflux
Did the City to Surf
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Hmmmm ... it's bad that I can't remember what they were if I made them, right? I did intend to get fit and lose weight ... I think I am fitter and weigh less than I did.
In the process of thinking about what I am doing for next year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
What, like in a queue or something?
No. Good friend from high school, but in NYC now and not sure if that counts.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Israel, Dubai (Airport) and Turkey.
Also went to Canberra.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Something that you can't write on a to do list.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Dec 31/Jan 1 - K and I made the pact (see Qn 2) and I saw a dead body lying on the freeway.
Feb 27 - cause even though this was my first birthday in years without him, the ex STILL managed to ruin my birthday
Jun 30 - my cousin's wedding in Tel Aviv
Aug 4 - J broke up with me
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Helping raise more than $25 000 for a friend.
Hmmm.... job promotion, 2012, Angel Rising, guest at Wastelands, Ditmars and Tin Ducks.
9. What was your biggest failure?
My job interview. I sucked.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Got bitten by a spider. Had a lot of headches and migraines.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Ben. He knows why.
My Mum - she does a lot and it mostly goes unnoticed or unacknowledged.
Kathryn for joining RSVP and for still putting up with all my crap.
My friends. All of them. Too many for listing and for too many reasons.
J who is even nice when he dumps you.
Tehani who is the most amazing person to have in your corner.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
As if you would answer that here.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Apart from living? Small Press and my trip to Israel/Turkey.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Obama winning the US Election.
My sister's new puppy.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
You Don't Know Me - Ben Folds and Regina Spektor
Death Cab for Cutie - Possess Your Heart
Kings of Leon - Somebody
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:i. happier or sadder? ii. thinner or fatter? iii. richer or poorer?
OMFG HAPPIER! Slightly thinner. Hard to say moneywise. Richer definitely in my soul and my life and my heart.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Hanging out with my friends. Reading for fun and crafting. Watching more films.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Stressing out. Reading OMG bad short fiction. Crying. getting caught up in things that don't matter.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
At J's house and then at Russ and Liz for dinner.
21. Who did you meet for the first time?
Mitch. Jason. Nick, Rob Shearman, Terri. Nyssa. Jo. Christina. Bunch of other work friends, since I moved buildings midyear.
Surely more people than this???
22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
23. What was your favourite TV program?
And old faves for comfort - Friends, Sex and the City, Buffy.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Hate? Hate is a lot of energy to put on people or things that don't deserve it. There are people I no longer have time for. I'm sad that I don't even consider the ex a friend.
25. What was the best book you read?
I didn't read a lot of books this year. I loved Justine's How to Ditch Your Fairy. I loved Peter Ball's Unicorn Porn novella that I bought. I probably got the most excited over that.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Kings of Leon. And then Death Cab for Cutie. And very very recently Girl Talk.
27. What was your favourite film of this year?
Didn't see enough film this year. Paris maybe? Or else Juno.
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 32.
I discovered a fabulous thing - you can give yourself the day off on your birthday! I shouted myself to an amazing day spa - full body massage, body scrub, facial and then a steam. SO doing that next year.
Had lunch with my Mum. A bunch of girlfriends came over on the Saturday night, I think.
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
31. What kept you sane?
32. What political issue stirred you the most?
Hmmm ... just one?
The US elections.
Wetlands [deeply technical policy type wording here]
33. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Nothing is worth having if you have noone to share it with. Love comes in all shapes, sizes and colours and no matter the packaging, is worth exactly the same. The only thing in life you can influence is the way you experience it. Release expectation and entitlement and the world is suddenly more surprising, more giving and more worthwhile.
It is better to have loved and lost.
Nothing is worth having if the wanting of it changes your ability to appreciate it when you finally get it.
How you are and go through the world is how the world is and will be towards you.
The world has more good people than bad in it.
Chill out, stop stressing and sit back and enjoy the show. It really is spectacular.
Sometimes it's only when you think you have lost something that you realise you never really had it in the first place.
It was a big year, the above are only the highlights.
34. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I suck at song lyric games.